Plenty of casual and avid music fans alike remember hearing Christina Aguilera's hits on the radio. Her distinctive style is one that lets her connect with her listeners whether they're in the front row at a concert or just listening at home.
Now, through the Masterclass platform, you can take a course in singing with Christina herself. In our Christina Aguilera Masterclass review, we'll take a closer look at the techniques Christina teaches and how this class might benefit you.
Christina Aguilera Masterclass
Features and Benefits
Now we'll take the time to really get into what it means to take a Masterclass with Christina Aguilera. We think this course is a worthwhile one, but there are a few caveats.
This course is broken down into 23 separate lessons. These lessons are designed to help you develop your own voice and style. Later lessons offer tips on protecting your voice and managing performance anxiety, both of which are essential for anyone who performs regularly. If you want to check out some of the themes of this course with Christina, check out this video trailer.
Here's a list of the lessons you'll get:
- 1Introduction -- In this class, you'll get to know Christina as she shares some of her goals for the class.
- 2Christina's Inspiration -- In this lesson, Christina will talk about some of the artists who have inspired her, and she'll also help you use your own emotions (and even flaws!) to connect with an audience.
- 3Warming Up -- This important lesson lets you learn the very vocal warmup exercises Christina uses before a show.
- 4Protecting Your Voice -- In this lesson, Christina will give you tips on protecting your voice and healing it if it's strained.
- 5Range -- Lots of singers want to hit high notes and expand their range, and this lesson helps you do just that.
- 6Student Sessions: Pop Style -- In this session, you can learn how to improve your own vocals as you watch Christina work with students on posture and vocal placement.
- 7Student Sessions: Simplify -- In this session, you'll see a student learn about projection and learn about a key vocal technique for connecting with listeners.
- 8Student Sessions: Rock Style -- This session will teach you how to use the gritty vocals that Christina uses on some of her songs, including "Fighter."
- 9Diction -- This lesson focuses on using diction and enunciation to tell a story.
- 10Mastering Vocal Techniques -- This section helps you master harmony, belting, vibrato, and slides.
- 11Playing With Textures and Tones -- This lesson will take you beyond typical vocal techniques and help you really make your songs your own.
- 12Duets Part 1: Rehearsal Prep -- If you've always wanted to perform a duet, this lesson will help you start the process.
- 13Duets Part 2: Perfecting the Performance -- This lesson will help you hone your duet and develop a performance your audience will love.
- 14The Beat -- This lesson focuses on developing an inner rhythm, and it also will help you experiment with beat and tempo to reinvent songs.
- 15Live Microphones -- This is one of the more technical lessons, and it will help you perform with a live microphone in a way that will revolutionize your performance.
- 16Studio Microphones -- If you want to record at some point, this lesson will give you invaluable insight into different microphone techniques to use.
- 17Performance Anxiety -- All performers get some element of performance anxiety, and this lesson will help you cope with it.
- 18Singing It Live -- This fun lesson will teach you how to create an engaging performance and connect with your audience in any venue.
- 19Overcoming Mistakes -- This lesson is useful for anyone pursuing a serious singing career. Christina reflects on some of her major career mistakes and how she's overcome them.
- 20Advice for Artists -- This lesson will help you find yourself as an artist.
- 21Self-Expression -- If you want to use your voice and music to change the world, you'll find this lesson especially useful.
- 22Christina's Journey -- This video will share Christina's journey as an artist and impart some of the major lessons she's learned throughout her career.
- 23Closing -- This last class is intended to sum up what you've learned and helped give you the courage to take your voice out into the world.
Often, vocal courses offered on Masterclass don't have a whole lot of extra resources. However, this Christina Aguilera course does have a couple of key resources that can help you get the most out of the course.
One is an app that lets you find your vocal range. You simply need to sing the highest (and then the lowest) note you can sustain for five seconds, and the app will tell you your range.
You can do this as many times as you want, making it a great resource for anyone who wants to track their progress in terms of vocal range. The workbook (discussed below) also gives you options to set specific range-expanding goals. For Christina Aguilera and most other serious singers, having an impressive range is key, and this app just might help you reach it.
The second resource is a course workbook. We like that the book has a suggested viewing schedule for the lessons, and it also has extra assignments to help you get the most out of the course. Christina also asks you to make up three-month, six-month, and twelve-month goals.This is a course that is a great fit for singers looking to take their career to the next level. If you aren't sure whether or not it's for you, you might want to check out this singer's impression of the course.
Pricing and Membership Options
We've mentioned a couple of times that Masterclass is a somewhat expensive platform. Of course, when considering the cost, it's important to weigh the fact that your instructor is Christina Aguilera. This is one of the main selling points of Masterclass as a platform -- each class is taught by a world-class musician, producer, singer, etc.
Masterclass advertises its membership cost as $15/month, which is not bad in itself. However, unlike many online lesson sites, they don't allow you to pay by the month -- you just have the option to pay $180 at once for a year-long membership. However, this membership lets you take as many courses as you want, which is a great value.
Previously, Masterclass let you purchase a single class for $90, which appealed to some buyers. And while the $180 annual membership is a bit steep, we think that if you can save your money and purchase one, it will be well worth it. Over the course of the year, you can take this class with Christina Aguilera and then move on to take courses with other renowned singers and musicians. Plus, the class has courses in sports, culinary arts, and more.Masterclass does periodically runs promotions that make it a little more affordable. If you want to learn more about the platform and what it's about, check out this informative video.
Social Proof of the Course
While Masterclass lets you view a course trailer, you don't get the opportunity to test-drive the video lessons in any singing course before you make a purchase. Before you make the decision to sign up for the Christina Aguilera Masterclass, it's a good idea to check out some reviews written by people who have taken the course.
We've done some digging around for reviews, and we've come up with some you might find helpful:
This one comes from Music Grotto, and we think it's a great thing to keep in mind for new singers -- if you're looking to focus on a genre other than rock or pop, you might want to select a different masterclass. That said, this review was a largely positive one.
This review snapshot comes from Tune Notes. This reviewer points out one of the major advantages of the course -- you get to learn directly from a pop superstar. While a good vocal coach is certainly an asset, there's something to be said for learning from a world-famous singer like Christina Aguilera.
This review comes from a full-length Christina Aguilera Masterclass review over at SoundFro. We think this reviewer makes an excellent point -- Christina Aguilera is a skilled vocal coach, but experienced singers may get the most out of her video lessons. Since she doesn't always impart a lot of technical knowledge of singing in her videos, very new singers may do best with a more technical course.
All in all, we've been impressed with the Christina Aguilera Masterclass. While there isn't quite the technical focus that you get with some beginning vocal programs, we like that you're learning from a legend in the singing world. We also like that Christina Aguilera takes care to focus on helping you develop your own style as a vocalist -- after all, her distinctive and expressive style is one of the things that helped her get ahead in the music business. The Masterclass platform itself can be expensive, but if you can afford it (or get a membership on a promo), we think it's worth getting. Happy singing!