Overview of the Product -
Cordoba C9 is one of the best all solid, Spanish style, Nylon Stringed Classical Guitar available in sub $1000 range. Use of solid wood results in better tone, resonance, sustain and overall sound.
Cordoba was founded in the 1990s by Tim Miklaucic, to revive Classical guitars, which were getting overshadowed by steel string Acoustic and Electric guitars. In a short span of two decades, Cordoba has made a considerable influence in the world of Classical Instruments.
Cordoba instruments range from beginner/entry-level to the professional-grade ones for expert players. The quality of their instruments is widely respected and provides real value for money.
C9 is one of the oldest & lauded models belonging to the Luthier series by the manufacturer. Luthier series is a perfect mix of traditional hand artistry and modern technology. Cordoba manufactures it in China.
Other models in the series are C12, C10 and GK. Although the series has beginner/student level guitars, these instruments are concert ready.
In Cordoba model numbering system, the higher the number associated with any model, more advanced or sophisticated is the model. So C9 is the least expensive in the Luthier series.
Full-size traditional CD / MH version has a solid Canadian cedar top and solid Mahogany back and sides. Some of the variations of C9 include
- 1Full-Size traditional SP / MH model - This has a solid European Spruce top.
- 2Parlor guitar with 7/8 size and 50 mm nut width
- 3Full-size Crossover model with slimmer neck profile, fingerboard with more radius and 48 mm nut width.
Things to consider before buying a Nylon String Acoustic guitar
Some of the crucial things to consider are
- 1Solid wood top, resulting in the most significant improvement in sound quality over laminates.
- 2Guitars with binding and purfling sound better.
- 3Tension and made of nylon strings.
- 4Finishes and aesthetic features.
Features & Benefits of Cordoba C9.
- 1C9 retains the traditional classical guitar style but has many premium and aesthetic features which makes it look gorgeous. These features include
- 2Fan Bracing: In the body of C9, you will find the fan bracing, which is characteristic of most classical guitars. Fan bracing is preferred over Lattice bracing for classical guitars as it allows instruments to vibrate more freely resulting in evenly balanced tone.
- 3Spanish Heel: All the instruments in the series are made with Spanish heel construction. In this system, instead of building body and then adding the neck, the neck is fixed first, and then the guitar is built around it. This method results in more stability and durability of the instrument.
- 4Woods Used:
Hardware used in Cordoba C9
- 1C9 features Cordoba’s Premium Etched Gold Tuning Machines, with black ebony-style buttons. Gold tuners have a gear ratio of 14:1. The tuners are easy to turn.
- 2Savarez Cristal Corum High Tension 500CJ strings :
- 3Relief Adjustment :
- 4Cordoba Polyfoam Case - Due to polyfoam, the case is light. It has a 600D polyester exterior, which makes it sturdy and suitable for heavy use. It has a plush interior, which makes the guitar well-cushioned and safe.
Cordoba C9 CD/MH is a versatile, concert ready classical guitar at an affordable price. Canadian Cedar is a very popular tonewood resulting in resonant, warm & full sound with excellent definition and projection. Cedar top guitars are suitable for playing in a variety of conditions, particularly for small, intimate gatherings.
A Cedar top guitar is particularly preferred for beginners due to their ability to cover up faulty notes. Cedar is equally liked by the experts also. Cedar is a very flexible tonewood that sounds great with whatever wood it is paired with for backs and sides.
A guitar with Mahogany back and sides have a full-bodied frequency response. The Mahogany back and sides allows many playing and music styles. Mahogany is also a better choice for beginners. Another great feature of Mahogany is its ability to work with any top and give a unique sound.
Cedar and Mahogany combine perfectly for a well rounded warm tone. This tone is perfectly balanced from low to high registers with rich bass and treble.
Cordoba C9, with a solid Spruce top, has an entirely different sound and feel. Against, warm and dark sound of Cedar, Spruce produces its characteristic bell-like sound, which lacks the fullness of Cedar.
With Spruce, it is possible to hear all notes of any chord distinct and clear. Spruce has better sustain than Cedar but is less flexible.
Conclusion From Our Cordoba C9 Review
It has gorgeous looks featuring inlays, Indian rosewood binding, premium gold tuners with Ebony buttons, Savarez strings and glossy PolyUrethane (PU) finish.
It has been designed with playability in mind with a rounded, warm and balanced tone.